- Be the best you can in your current position – Before you go any further in your career path, you have to get work done in the position you currently find yourself in.
- Provide support to your leader– Other than executing the tasks which are naturally required by your function, make sure you also offer your boss a helping hand. This can go a long way, as you will be perceived as helpful and soliciting.
- Lead when possible – Try to assume the position of a leader when possible in any given situation, independent of its size or importance. With this, you will be able to display what you have in you in terms of leadership.
- Approach problems and issues others are unaware of – Every organization has needs nobody is paying attention to, or people are actively ignoring. When you take on a task that no one else is willing to do, you prove your potential and make yourself stand out.
- Show that you are a capable leader – Being a leader isn’t only imposing your will over others. You must be understanding and proactive! Show that you can lead others in the best way possible!
- Keep your ambitions to yourself – Share your ambitions only with those whom you can completely trust. Keep a close grip of how you execute your current work but at the same time keep a foresight on what you want to reach.
- Find role models – Learn from others’ successes and failures. Find individuals who have the roles you want and learn from them. Identify behaviors you can emulate while being true to yourself, but don’t forget to look at those who are stuck in their career as a lesson of what not to do.
- Relationships and networking – Networking is essential in any business sphere. Make sure you meet and greet as well as become well known within your company and among your external work circles.
BASED ON: TLNT